You‘ve Got Cancer


Cancer Ribbon, Bible, Faith, Hope, Brown Hope
Hope in Scripture is not wishful thinking.
Hope is guaranteed delivery. But you have to believe it.
Draw on it. Count on it like you do the money
in your bank account. It is there for the usage.

Makes me think of the movie "You've Got Mail" but it isn't cute, is it?

Just remembering that fateful day in February 2019 starts the flow of tears down my face.

My son called from the parking lot. "Mom," he says, "as the technician performed the ultrasound I saw this blackness."

At that moment he knew his 20-month-old son had cancer.

He told me the technician's eyes filled with tears. So, he asked about what she saw and she was quick to apologize for her "lack of professionalism." She said, "You see, I lost my mother to cancer just last week."

What is a father to do?

Well, first. He cries his heart out.

The lamentation from my son was gut-wrenchingly heart-breaking. We cried together on the phone while I listened to my son's outcry for his son's life.

He told me how much he needed #BenBrave. He told me what a blessing this little guy had been to his family. How he was so desperately needed. How he had such a strong influence on his big brother ,,,  and his mom and dad.

And what is a mother to do? What do I say to this fun-loving, witty, upbeat son of mine? Is his spirit broken? crushed?

Battle Stations


We prayed. We praised. We sought out The Source of all good things. We looked into the unknown and sought the Face of the One Who knows everything.

We thanked our Creator for His gift of #BenBrave. We thanked God for Ben's mother's instinct that something was wrong. How she insisted on a closer look.

We praised God for His presence. His comfort. His strength.

Scripture tells us whenever two or more are gathered in Jesus' Name, He is present.

When we finished, my son and I knew Jesus was present. We soaked that in.

Slowly our tears subsided. Peace began to settle and confidence was restoring.
Jesus said, “Peace I leave to you. MY peace, I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
John 14:27
My son went to work. Worried a little. Concerned a lot. But keenly aware of God's presence.

I agreed to be the dispenser of #BenBrave's news and updates so my son and daughter-in-law could focus on the logistics around this dark, frightening unknown they were facing.

Our whole family was changed forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like Abram?

Pain vs Joy: Which is most intense?

The Moon and Me