The Moon and Me


The blood moon.
Photo by Andrew Brister.
When I look at the moon I see me.

Strange? 

Think about it: the moon reflects the brightness (glory) of the sun.

I reflect the glory of Christ, the Son of God.

I considered all this the other night when we were able to watch the moon become a “blood moon”. It ever so slowly lost its brightness. It was covered in a redness that was very much like blood. Then, the corona came back and soon its full illumination was restored.

I found it mesmerizing.

As I was sharing with a friend the next day I realized how, once again, God provided His own witness to the world about the sacrifice His Son made for us.

Once again He used His creation to show us the need we have for Him in our lives. How sin creeps into our lives and darkens our souls. How we lose our shine. Our newness.

But then, ever so gently, He brings light – Truth – into our lives. As His Son showed us the Truth and we accept the Truth that God loves us. God wants to be with us always. That He created us and is proud of us. The brightness. The lightness. The illumination of Truth brings glory that is breathtaking.

It is no wonder to me how David could write such Psalms that sing of God's glory. His might. David must have spent many days and nights contemplating the witness God give Him in the world as David took care of his flock of sheep.

How else could he have written this in Psalm 8?

v. 1 O Lord, our Lord, How excellent isYour name in all the earth.
Who have set Your glory above the heavens!

v. 3-5
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and he stars, which You have ordained,

What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?

For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor.

I wonder if there was a blood moon the night David was inspired to write that psalm?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like Abram?

Pain vs Joy: Which is most intense?