Do-overs! Love 'em!



Flawed but finished. The original is much prettier, but
I'm a beginner in following knitting directions.
I sense a do-over coming!
You know that crochet and knit project?

Well, I've done both off and on throughout my life. This traveling afghan project, however, is teaching me so-o-o-o very much.

I've completed all the squares provided thus far. The crochet pieces (3 of them thus far) are completed and look really good. I breezed through those.

But then the knitting has a very different story to tell.

I lost count of how many times I had to start square 2 over again. I know it was at least 10 times I yanked out every stitch. However, at this point, there are only two squares to complete and, they are done, but square 2 was really hard for me.

I am grateful the decision to do it over is totally up to me. But I kinda like my flawed effort. The perfectionist in me whispers and nags me "Re-do it! Re-do it!". But the realist in me says "keep it as-is to remind yourself to learn and practice before completing something you are new to."

The question is: did I learn enough to successfully do it again? Or will the next effort - if there IS a next effort - turn out similar or even worse?

There was much to overcome: reading directions correctly, understanding abbreviations and then understanding what each motion of the knitting needles were intended to achieve.

Ah - purpose!

I found a tutorial (there were 6 lessons) which explained to me the logistics of knitting stitches. How a knit stitch pushes thread through and a purl stitch pulls thread through. How the continental style vs English style of knitting was faster, better, or just plain different. But, goodness me, teaching my fingers to follow a new choreography!?! It made me think of music scales all over again. Do I really want to go THERE?

Then there's a Portuguese or Peruvian style. I think. (Bear with me, I'm writing from memory.) Your yarn comes over your shoulder and around your neck before getting to your needles. Wow!

You know that saying "There is more than one way to skin a cat."? Well, I learned there is more than one way to create a knit and a purl - the two basic stitches of knitting. AND they have exactly the same result.

This was invaluable as I watched the knitting video. Oh dear! She used the continental style of knitting and I had learned the English style.

So, once again, God makes sure I have all the knowledge required to complete the challenges He has brought into my life.

Between the online knitting lessons I found; the video tutorial provided by the designer of the square, and other bloggers and vloggers who demonstrated the abundant abbreviations within this pattern, I have completed and blocked my 2nd square.

God does provide all my needs according to His riches which are abundant! But, admittedly, I do feel a do-over coming on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like Abram?

Pain vs Joy: Which is most intense?

Watch Out, World2: Reality Bites