Watch Out, World5: Abundance Defined

For me, anyway, just what does "abundance" look like?
  • At least 10% (tithe) of my gross to my church.
  • Contribute at least 10% or more into savings.
  • Pay my bills immediately upon receipt.
Simple, right? WRONG!

Realization: I've just committed 20% of my income ... wait! Uncle Sam gets 20-30% of my income so now I'm expected to budget my living expenses (including my MORTGAGE) off of half my gross income!?!?!

Can that be right?

Right! Prepare to be amazed.

I remember reading Matthew 5-7 often referred to as the "Sermon on the Mount." In the heart of this sermon (Matt. 6:19-24) is the following words:
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,[c] your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,[d] your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
And at the end (Matt. 7:24-29) Jesus' closing words are about the two men who built their homes: one built on sand the other built on bedrock.  As you know, the storms came and the house built on the shifting sand fell down while the house built on rock stood solid.

I really took this passage to heart. I committed to discipline myself to seek God's kingdom first. His righteousness. His wisdom. I knew this was the only way we would see His abundance and overcome our indebtedness, begin to save and reach our retirement goal of independent living.

Fast forward about 20 years and BAM! God delivered. I had no idea that we could reach all our financial goals but God's words in Scripture kept telling me it was true.

We learned commitment, diligence, faith, trust and so much more as we walked out our budgeting and worked to be as faithful o God as He was to us.

We tithed. We saved. We contributed to above-and-beyond offerings. And, all by the grace and mercy of God, we have now reached our financial goals.

That is my passion. That is what drives me. Service to a generous and loving creator.

So, that's why I'm writing this blog and I wholeheartedly welcome comments, questions, and engagement as I continue to post my thoughts, what I've learned and hopefully you will be encouraged and benefit from my own experiences.

So up next in my topics: what I've learned through my 2-year-old grandson's battle against cancer.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like Abram?

Pain vs Joy: Which is most intense?

The Moon and Me