Watch Out, World4: My Revelation

This exercise peels your "why" down to the very center.
Heart issues are tough to diagnose.

I'd like to take a little sidebar moment here to look at the underlying "why" of our predicament.

I read about a great exercise, recently, to help a person discover their deepest motivation behind a habit, a new commitment, or just about any endeavor.

It's quite simple. You answer the question: "I would like to do _________ because _________." Then take your "because" blank move it to the "do" blank and answer that over and over again.

So, to example this I will use my heart issue:
  • I would like to be debt free because I'm tired of watching the bills get bigger.
  • I am tired of watching the bills get bigger because I can't save any money.
  • I can't save any money because I keep spending everything I earn.
  • I keep spending everything I earn because I want more than I need.
  • I want more than I need because I want to be happy.
  • I want to be happy because I am a Christian.
  • I am a Christian because I trusted Jesus to take away my sin.
  • I trusted Jesus to take away my sin because I know as a sinner I'm doomed to life away from my Creator.
  • Wait! How the heck did I arrive there?
You can see how this little exercise can help you flange out some very deep and meaningful details.

So, in filling out this exercise the deceived state I was living in became evident: I was attempting to buy my own happiness out of selfishness and a sense of "I deserve ...."

Yet, here I am wanting to model the life Jesus lived. You see, He knew how our Creator had designed us so I believe one of the reasons God became a man was to show us "this is how I designed you." By following Jesus' example I can really live rightly. Right?

Well, have you ever observed that Jesus never mentioned His happiness? Have you ever noticed how Jesus' physical discomfort was most often satisfied by doing God's work and filling His life with selflessness?

I think He had to have been very hungry when he met the Samaritan woman at the well. The disciples had gone into town to get food and he rested at the well. After his encounter with this woman and helping her see her need for God in her life, the disciples returned. Jesus let them know He was no longer hungry and they wondered if someone had already fed him! (See John 4 - it's one of my favorite stories.) 

So - in looking at this model Jesus lived, I discovered "deservedness" was never on His mind. In fact, He wouldn't even defend His reputation. Just take a look at His encounter before Pontius Pilate and Herod before He was crucified. He didn't open His mouth at all to defend Himself.

Now what? 

How do I get this money issue under control? How do I model good stewardship as God asks us to in His Word? I should be living a life evidencing the abundance God has for those who will follow Him. How would I define that "abundance"?

Ooooo - good question!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like Abram?

Pain vs Joy: Which is most intense?

The Moon and Me